clinicalMessage is a collaborative effort of leading healthcare organizations and technology companies managed by QRS. It was created in response to inefficiencies resulting from poor clinical communication amongst clinicians. Initially, the issues that were isolated included: Pager-based communication technology that no longer met the needs of mobile staff, non-standard practices, lack of evidence that a single communication protocol could positively impact the quality and economics of care and integration of any new process in a complex delivery of health care environment. lack of evidence that a single communication protocol could positively impact the quality and economics of care and integration of any new process in a complex delivery of health care environment.
Its mission is to provide thought leadership and define, develop, deploy and continuously improve bedside care processes leading to unambiguous and measurable improvement in the quality and value of patient care.
Achieve Business Outcomes
The key focus areas of clinicalMessage are to help realize:
- Improved interprofessional communication
- Enhanced hand-off and sign-out
- A Learning Organization that can better meet patient needs
- Continuous improvement as a pragmatic practice
- Re-enforced behaviour through real-time improvement
The innovative approach of clinicalMessage has been recognized by industry in the 2012 Bronze Edison Award for Medical Applications and Online Tools.
- An Evaluation of the Use of Smartphones to Communicate Between Clinicians: A Mixed-Methods Study
- Understanding interprofessional communication: a content analysis of email communications between
doctors and nurses
- The Use of Smartphones for Clinical Communication on Internal Medicine Wards
- Technology for Doctors: UHN in Toronto Uses Blackberry
- Demonstrating the BlackBerry as a Clinical Communication Tool: A Pilot Study Conducted through the Centre for Innovation in Complex Care
- Apples or BlackBerrys? Clinical Use and evaluation of the iPhone Platform in a BlackBerry-Dominated Hospital Environment
- Five Key Steps to transform Healthcare through improved communication and collaboration [read more]
- STANDARDIZE. AUTOMATE. REAL-TIME FEEDBACK. LEARNING CULTURE [read more]
- What the bleep? Pagers are slow, unreliable, and a reason for hospital deaths